Dhanbad Airport is used for private small aircraft and helicopters, currently there is no public air-link at the airport. The nearest public airports to Dhanbad are
- Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport, Asansol-Durgapur 85 kilometres (53 mi)
- Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi 140 kilometres (87 mi)
- Gaya Airport 207 kilometres (129 mi)
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata 269 kilometres (167 mi)
- Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna 271 kilometres (168 mi)
Dhanbad is connected with almost all states through rail network. Each and every train through this has a stop at Dhanbad, other than the Sealdah New Delhi & Howrah New Delhi Duronto Exp, which also has a Technical Halt, but not to be used for Commercial Purposes.
National Highway 2 and National Highway 32 are the major highways passing through Dhanbad.NH2 is part of Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) highway network; Dhanbad lies in Kolkata-Delhi link of the Golden Quadrilateral network. NH2 is being converted into six lane expressway; NH 32 connects Dhanbad to Bokaro-Jamshedpur.
Private and State buses are available for inter-city traveling.